01 August 2009

Blasted women...

Today I did something out of character. I woke up and watched a movie in it's entirety. A miracle, yes? The Ghost and Mrs Muir sucked me in indelibly. Alright, I must admit. I only wanted to see it for little 8 year old Natalie Wood. But once it started on FMC this morning, I seriously could not turn it off. Something just lured me in and ate me like some rare German dessert. Lucy Muir moves into a new house with her maid and daughter after being widowed. After finding the seafront home of her dreams, she moves in to be befriended by the ghost of a sea captain who had previously lived there. A LOT of this movie reminded me of Portrait of Jennie, with Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten. The ghostly aspects, the shots of the violent waves, and the blooming love story. Also, a portrait painting plays a very important part in both films. In Jennie, Cotten's character paints Jennie after seeing her and being intrigued. In Mrs Muir, a portrait of Captain Gregg hangs on a wall in Lucy's room, and she looks at it often. The ghost of Captain Daniel Gregg is easily the greatest character in the whole film. He is terribly witty and has some of the greatest lines in the movie. Eva: And what a hideous painting! Captain Gregg: Anyone with a face like yours, madam, should steer clear of expressing such opinions! George Sanders...is a snooty snot. Every movie I've seen him in, he's just some creepy dude trying to hit on chicks. Maybe it's the voice. And what a little sleazeball he is in this one! He's already married with two kids, and spends his time creepin' on the ladies. And his wife will be the first to admit it! "This isn't the first time this has happened." I feel bad for both parties, mainly Lucy. Lucia. Loo-chee-a. Whatever her name was. Although I knew she was making a bad decision in the first place. If you ever meet someone even remotely close to George Sanders...it's not gonna be cute. Just RUN AWAY. When it comes down to it, the best part of the movie is the love story between Lucy and Daniel. First he was the gruff, get-out-of-my-house type, and he came to realize that he actually liked having Lucy as company. At times, it was like watching two kids my age who are fatally in love with each other painfully trying to hide their devotion during a conversation; I was getting antsy, as if I was walking down the hall at school seeing these dumb couples. Eventually he tells her while she's sleeping that their relationship has always been a dream, and he leaves. The ending is sweet, sad, and satisfying all at the same time. Lucy has grown old. She's been alone her whole life, only with Martha the maid to keep her company. Assuming she's had a stroke - "My elbow has a funny pain" - she dies only to have a ghost of her young self come out of her, and after not seeing each other for decades, her and the Captain walk off into the rolling ocean fog. For more on Mrs Muir, go to this site. "Women named Lucy are always being imposed upon, but Lucia - there's a name for an amazon, a queen!"

15 comments:

Raquelle said...

I'm both amused and offended by you calling my beloved George Sanders a snooty snot sleazeball. LOL! Only you can get away with it! (I had to Tweet my rebuttal).

Great post. I want to see this now.

NoirGirl said...

Great review, Sarah! I've seen this film 2 or 3 times, and each time the ending shocks me. Somehow I always think Gene Tierney should not have to die to end up happy ever after with Rex Harrison. The last time I saw it, I turned it off before it was over so I could pretend my own ending. :)

On George Sanders - I am sorry to see you find him creepy. I think he's a dreamboat. The accent, the wit, the devilishly good looks - if I saw him coming, I would run but in his direction!

Although, I can understand why you find him creepy. The first film I ever saw him in was Rebecca and I absolutely hated him. But, I had my change of heart a little later when TCM played all the Saint films on one day. I recorded them all and have been a GS devotee ever since. :)

btw- If we're going to talk creeps here, how about Rex Harrison? I always get a creepy feeling when watching him in a film. I think I've never been able to forgive him for driving Carole Landis to commit suicide. And there's always a creepy element to his portrayal of Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady.

Juliette. said...

I love this movie. Whenever people say Gene Tierney wasn't a good actress, I show 'em this one. Or Leave Her to Heaven, but that's another story. ;)

...and you're right about the similarities to Portrait of Jennie-- I'd never thought of that, just Laura.

You have George Sanders pegged. I think it's the voice...always sort of a debonair cynic.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Juliette. said...

Ooh, definitely agreed about Rex Harrison...though I've always found him attractive...

Mercurie said...

I definitely think Captain Gregg was on of Rex Harrison's best roles. He was so perfect in it. And I do think Gene Tierney is underrated as an actress. I thought she did well in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, not to mention several other films.

Kate Gabrielle said...

You completely have me in the mood to watch this again now!! Quite frankly, I've always been smitten with Rex Harrison. I was a very odd child and had crushes on him & Fred Astaire when I was really little. (really, I'm quite odd.)

As for George (who seems to be at the center of some heated debate!) I'm actually neutral.. he can play a real slimy cad, or a debonair leading man, I think he's just a good character actor :)

I do the same thing as Casey actually -- I always turn this off before the ending. I do the same thing with My Foolish Heart, too. Whenever I'm unhappy with an ending I just try to forget about it and imagine my own :D

Sarah said...

George himself is not a snooty snot sleazeball, but the character in this movie and Rebecca are. THEREFORE, I call him a SSS. Haha I'll have to watch the saint movies now to change my mind!

I think Rex Harrison was weird and attractive all at the same time...in a creepish way. I thought he was a jerk in My Fair Lady, how dare anyone treat Audrey Hepburn like that!

Ginger Ingenue said...

This movie's my current obsession! :)

Honest: I just watched it like a week ago, and when I realized the cute little girl was Natalie Wood, I thought, "I oughta ask Sarah if she's ever seen this!"

And I was so excited that it was on FMC yesterday, because I watched it via Netflix, and I don't want to send it back! I thought I'd dvr-it from FMC, and have it forever, but damn it, it stormed like crazy yesterday, and my dvr recorded nothing but a black screen. :(

...

So glad you liked it, though. :)

Natalie was ADORABLE.

George Sanders IS a sleazeball. ;)

And Rex Harrison is HOT!

...

Probably gonna review it, too, sometime this week.

Paul Brazill said...

Nice post! I love the film and Sanders is one of my faves.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the comments!
I am sort of creepily attracted to Rex...although I do find him annoying at times (ie, My Fair Lady). I do like Sanders as an actor, but MAN he can play skeezeball pretty well!

Lolita said...

I can't help but love George Sanders! But I like him even more when he's not just some sleaze bag. Like in All About Eve. (Or in The Jungle Book as Shere Khan! Greatest voice ever.)

Mykal said...

Sarah: loved this post. I loved this movie long before I loved and appreciated George Sanders (your description of him as a "Snooty Snot" is perfect - sometimes he was a sleazeball, sometimes not, but he was always snooty and snotty!).

I will always think (and love) this movie as a kind of summit for pure, bittersweet romance in movies.

Great, great post! -- Mykal

Sarah said...

Thanks for the comment, Mykal! :D

Amanda Hardin said...

I love this entry!!! I love this movie, and I love how you present it!

Sarah said...

thanks Amanda! :)