22 June 2009

Don't shun me; I like newer movies too!

So Kate did a post about newer movies and how she feels guilty about it. You are not alone, dear... My favorite new-ish movies include: Almost Famous (2000) - Soundtrack is amazing. I wanted to kiss Cameron Crowe's feet when Feel Flows by The Beach Boys started playing during the credits. Kate Hudson is equally brilliant and William Miller aka Patrick Fugit is freaking adorable. Garden State (2004) - PERFECT. I've been obsessed with this for like 2 weeks. Again, the music is essential to create a backdrop for the scenes and Natalie Portman and Zach Braff have incredible chemistry, IMHO. Marie Antoinette (2006) - Did a mini-post on this in like, November and my opinion hasn't changed. It's so pretty to look at, even if I didn't speak English I would still be amazed. It gave a lot of insight into MA's life too. Sarah hearts Sofia Coppola. Chaplin (1992) - Something you may not know, but I am a HUUUUGEEE Chaplin fan, no kidding. He could be considered second to Natalie. Anyhow, this movie taught me about his personal life, which makes for a great movie alone. Also started my Robert Downey Jr infatuation. Hehe... Annie Hall (1971)- LURVES IT. Harold & Maude (1971) - Towards the top of my all time favorites list :D Check out my quiz on it. Natch I love all of the 80s Brat Pack movies, who doesn't? Pretty in Pink, 16 Candles, Breakfast Club, and the king of all of them, FERRIS BUELLER. John Hughes, your my hero. Other ones I love but don't feel like talking about (ha) are Love Story, The Doors (god LOVE that movie), The Outsiders and I geekishly love Wargames too.

5 comments:

Millie said...

Hahaha, Sarah...how could you? ;-D

Robby Cress said...

All of those are classics. Everyone needs to appreciate newer films too. I love the classics and enjoy the future classics. I would have to throw in Swingers for myself :)

Kate Gabrielle said...

I actually keep meaning to see Harold and Maude and miss it every time it's on TCM. Every time the trailer is played I get that Cat Stevens song stuck in my head for weeks! And (shame on me) I was born in the 80's and I've never seen any of the Brat Pack films. I know! criminal...

Sarah said...

Millie, I know. Newer-ish movies keep me young ;)

Robby, thanks for letting me know I'm not alone!

Kate, WATCH IT! I could never really tell people about it, because it's one of those movies you'd have to watch for yourself to really understand it ;)

Meredith said...

i agree with robby, it's nothing to be guilty about! even though i absolutely adore older films and think that in several ways they are superior to newer films, there are plenty of wonderful films made in the present/things to appreciate about them that could not be accomplished 80 years ago, and i think people that are too elitist to see that only end up looking silly in the end and miss out on a lot of great stuff.