05 May 2009

A head scratching moment...courtesy of mother.

*phone rings* Sarah: Hello? Mom: Hey it's me, I'm at Big Lots. S: Yeah, what's up? M: They have some old movies on DVD for $3, so I'm wondering if you're interested. S: Ooh! Ok, what do they have? M: Um...*shuffling noise* Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers in The Barkleys of Broadway? S: Good! M: Ok...*more shuffling* Fred and Ginger in...The Gay Divorce? S: You mean divorcee? M: Sure; yay or nay? S: Yay. M: Alright. *shuffle* The Roman something of Mrs Stone. S: The what? Romancing? M: No, The Roman...hang on, there's a price sticker on the title... S: Well, look on the spine. M: OH...The Roman Spring of Mrs Stone. Vivien Leigh, Warren Beatty... S: Ok, you sold me on Viv. That one's a Yay, are there others? M: *shuffle* Romeo and Juliet? S: What year? M: Sarah, I don't know what year this is, for crying out loud! S: Well, who's in it? M: Leslie Howard....Norman...Scharer... S: Norma Shearer? M: Yeah, sure. And some guy with the name of a spice...? S: Who? M: Basil..Rrrrathbone? S: Ok, that's a Yay. M: Well they have more, but they're all war-ish movies and I know how you hate blood & guts. S: Ok, thanks Ma. M: Alright. Tell your father to preheat the oven to 350 for the tater tots and I'll be home in a half hour. S: Ok, bye. M: Bye. *click*

13 comments:

Graciebird said...

My mom wouldn't even know of any old movies! And $3 bucks?! You lucky blogger!

Millie said...

LOL!

Totally sounds like my mom!

Kate Gabrielle said...

Wow, I have to check out big lots now! I have one nearby -- I'm lucky, my parents both love classic movies, too, so they would know who Basil Rathbone is :) My dad actually stops at every single bargain dvd bin to see if there are any classics! Sometimes he's worse than me!

ps. LOVE tater tots!!! :)

Sarah said...

Harly, I know! $12 for 4 movies? Not bad at all for someone stingy with cash like I.

Millie, I have a feeling all moms have some weird sarcastic side. ;)

Kate, you know those big bins at Wal-Mart? I'll be standing there for 10 minutes and people will start to stare... :) Our tater tots are called 'Spud Puppies', lol!

Raquelle said...

I love how your mom pronounces things, she's like mine. She says Norma Cheerah, Marilyn Monroi and Maca Roni (Mickey Rooney) ha ha!

Maybe I need to get over my fear of Big Lots and try it esp. if they have Norma Shearer movies there!

Sarah said...

Raquelle, I lol'd at Maca Roni. I haven't been to Big Lots in forever, but apparently they have some good stuff there!

Genevieve said...

They have $3 movies at big lots!!??!! I've never been there, but the second school gets out I'll be making a trip there!

Your mom reminds me of mine. She knows absolutely nothing about classic films. She thinks I like any black and white movie. So sad...I do my best to educate her : )

Robby Cress said...

Wow! what a score! I can't believe they had all those great films for only 3 bucks. I think I too need to head to Big Lots.

Radiation Cinema! said...

Way to go, Mom! Everyone needs a Mom willing to go bin diving for bargain DVDs. And I agree with you, Sarah, Basil..Rrrrathbone is a definite Yay. Although, I do like a war-ish movie now and then. -- Mykal

Princess Fire and Music said...

Aw, you have an awesome mom. And I need to find a Big Lots now. I've been known to dive headfirst into the $5 movie bins at WalMart.

Sarah said...

Hahahaha
I agree with all of you guys! :D

Kate Gabrielle said...

Hi Sarah! I just got the Friendly Blogger Award and passed it on to you on my blog-- you can swing by http://flapperdoodle.blogspot.com/2009/05/friendly-blogger.html to pick up the image :)

.k said...

That's one awesome conversation with your mother.. I always have to give her a list of movies/actors I want/like