22 April 2009

Five words: Freak Merry Go Round Accident.

BIG OL' SPOILERS, BEWARE! Strangers on a Train was the second Hitchcock movie I saw on the big screen, and I thinked I liked it better than Shadow of a Doubt (sorry if you like that one!). It was a lot more suspenseful in my opinion, and was super exciting. There are some things I love about this movie, so while I sing "These are a few of my Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music, let's roll. 1. Nice little suprises in the cast. Wasn't so shocked to see Hitch because he's obvs in every movie of his. But seeing Marion Lorne aka Aunt Clara from Bewitched was a nice little present. I know her as a bumbling, aging witch who is losing her powers and collects doorknobs so it was a bit weird to see her as the mother of a psychopath, but I enjoyed seeing her! Then I saw Pat Hitchcock! I was like seriously, where is this party and why am I not invited? I heard her sort of lispy voice and I KNEW it was from somewhere. I figured it out once I heard in my head, "Teddy called, me, and mother called to see if Teddy called..." from Psycho. It was a pleasant suprise to see her too. 2. FARLEY GRANGER. Seriously, why haven't I ever heard of this guy until NOW? I was dying the whole movie. He is so handsome, with an amazing voice and totally drool-worthy. Omg, dream dude. He's like a Ken doll! I had post some caps of his angelic face. *swoons* Wow. That was some serious fangirling. 3. Noir-like shots. Ok, so I can't say I came up with this myself, since I honestly know NOTHING about noir. I need to be enlightened. Anyhow, I read somewhere that the scene where Bruno (Robert Walker) informs Guy (Granger) that he has just killed Miriam, they are behind a gate. The lights from the street cast shadows through the bars, making it look like they are in a prison cell. This is probably not a coincidence, showing that Bruno killed Miriam; now he will go to jail. It could also probably symbolize Guy feeling alone at that moment, being in a singular cell. Also, the shot where you can see Bruno strangling Miriam in the reflection of her cat eye glasses is pretty scary and ironic, as it would be played out with Pat Hitchcock later in the movie. 4. The "double crossing" themes. The plot of the movie deals with a double crossing murder plot. Bruno does Guy's murder, and vice versa. THIS is why Hitch is a freaking genius. I didn't catch it until looking through the screencap gallery, but there were a boatload of 'double' themes. In the beginning, Bruno walks towards the left and Guy walks towards the left. They would have to cross each other at some point if they kept walking. On the night of her death, Miriam has two dates. Also at the beginning, the camera seems as if it's stuck on the tip of the train as you see two tracks crossing each other. Oh Hitchy, you're so smart! Caps from Hitchcock Wiki, complied in photoshop by me.

14 comments:

Raquelle said...

Oohh I never noticed the double themes. Awesome! Thanks for pointing that out. For that alone it is worth another viewing of this.

Aren't Farley Granger's lips to die for? I'm oddly attracted to Robert Walker too though. :-)

I'm glad you liked this movie and that you got a chance to see it on the big screen. I wrote about my experience too on my blog.

Have you seen this? http://www.worstpreviews.com/images/headlines/temp/temp261.jpg

Kate Gabrielle said...

Oh, this is one of my favorites! You didn't offend me -- Shadow of a Doubt is great, but I like this one better, too. I'm so jealous that you saw it on the big screen!!

Farley Granger! (sigh) -- Have you seen Rope yet? Another Hitch/Farley Granger pairing. He's also great in They Live by Night.

Paul Brazill said...

Smashing post. I love that film. I know Highsmith didn't go with Chandler's softening of the story but in the hands of Hitch...

Nicole said...

Awesome review of the movie, another thing that I liked was how scary Robert Walker was. I loved seeing Patricia in the movie as well, she's a gem.

Lolita said...

Was a long time since I saw this one, need to see it again! Great screen shots and entertaining post!

Millie said...

Great post!

"Strangers On A Train" is one of my favorites! And I second you on all those reasons you like the movie!

Pat is so great in this movie! She is also fabulous in "Stage Fright", but this was her best role IMO. I just love her. I actually wrote to her last year and got a signed note back from her!

Farley is great in this too. I have always wanted to see him in "Rope", which unfortunately is one of the few Hitchcock's I have not seen.

Sarah, Film Noir is AMAZING! You seriously have to check out more.

Anyways, great post!

Graciebird said...

Hmm...Farley Granger

Not bad, Sarah, not bad at all.

Still waiting to see this one; must be good!

Sarah said...

Raquelle, I have seen that photo! I have all of the Vanity Fair pics from that spread saved on my computer. And Farley's lips are like wonderful soft little pillows. *drools, again*

Kate, I semi watched Rope last year while doing my homework lol. I seriously need to watch it again, not only for Farley, but I need to see it without algebra right in front on my face. :)

...it's bound to be terrific, Paul! ;)

Nicole, Robert was a bit freaky. Then again, I was kinda crushing on him too, like Raquelle. :/ I just like serial killers I guess. ;)

Lolita, thanks!! :D

Millie, thanks! I REALLY need to see Rope now. *goes to TCM to see when it will be on* And yes, I get yelled at everytime I say I know nothing about noir.

Harly, I was planning on killing off his girlfriend in the movie, stalking and making him marry me. I luff him :D

Raquelle said...

I love your new header by the way! :-)

Sarah said...

Thank you! :D It's so obnoxiously spring-like.

Keith said...

Hey there. Great writeup and photos. I love this film. It's been ages since I've seen it though. Hope you've had a good weekend. Cheers!

Sarah said...

Thank you, Keith! :D

Millie said...

Sarah, I Splashed your blog! You can check out the details on my blog.

Radiation Cinema! said...

My 2nd favorite Hitchcock (Yep, Shadow of a Doubt #1 - who can resist Uncle Charlie's glittering eyes as he gives his rundown on the human race?). I like this one for the super-creepy performance from Robert Walker, who was a very under-rated actor. Nice post - realy hits the highlights-- Mykal