22 March 2009

Strange Uncle, Strange Uncle...

Today I took my friend to go see Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt (1943) at The Palace, which is a movie theater bordering on the town next to mine. They have a Hitchcock Festival where they show one of his films a month until June or July. I came a little late in the fest, sadly, but I made my way out because I wanted to see an old movie in a modern theater...for the first time! I had no idea what it was about, so the whole thing was pretty suprising. I really love Joseph Cotten and I have been wanting to see more of his movies. I realized about halfway into it that I have seen only two of his movies, being this one and Niagara. I also realized that in both he played serial killers and was dead by the end of it. ;) Oh! I've also seen Portrait of Jennie. He was actually kinda nice in that one. For once. Shadow of a Doubt also introduced me to Teresa Wright. Beside from being a very pretty girl, she was a fantastic actress. All of her emotions and expressions were truly convincing. Joan Fontaine was supposedly the one Hitch wanted for the role of young Charlie, but I honestly can't picture dear Joanie playing it. Teresa takes the crown; for me, at least. Edna May Wonacott plays the younger sister to young Charlie. She's...hilarious. Here's one line to display the wit to this one... "Honestly, father, you think mother had never seen a phone. She has no faith in science. She thinks she has to cover the distance by sheer lung power." -Ann Newton, when her mother is screaming into the telephone. And now for the post title...that show, I Love the 80's? Me and the friend I took to this are crazy about the I Love.. shows on VH1. One of the toys they profiled was My Buddy, a creepy Chucky-esque doll made especially for little boys (because all little boys want is a freaky doll that makes them feel like a girl with dolls, right?). One of the comics sang 'strange uncle, strange uncle...' to the My Buddy theme song, so it's stuck with me and my friend. I whispered 'strange uncle' everytime Joseph Cotten did something creepy with Teresa. I think there was some underlying sexual tension there. I don't know if it was by fault, but then again it's a Hitchcock movie. It's bound to be a little out there.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Joseph Cotten always does such an excellent job as a psychopath, he was such a genius in Shadow of a Doubt. He is such an underrated actor and I hope you get a chance to see more of his films because he's definitely worth watching.


When I watched Shadow of a Doubt, I definitely felt that there was some type of chemistry between Uncle Charlie + Young Charlie. I know creepy but you expect it from Hitchcock. lol

Millie said...

You got to see it in a theater? Me jealous!

This is my absolute favorite Hitchcock! It is brilliant in all aspects! One of my favorite lines is when his sister is talking about him and says, "Poor Charlie, he never has been the same since that bicycle accident". SO creepy. My family uses it often...replacing strange people's names with that of Charlie. LOL!

Paul Brazill said...

it's a wonderful spin on the claustrophobia of families.

Princess Fire and Music said...

This movie was my first time seeing Joseph Cotten outside Citizen Kane. It's a great movie, and yes, I definitely got that vibe between Uncle Charlie and Charlie. She seemed to have a crush on him, and it really added to the creepiness of the overall movie.

Sarah said...

Nicole, he really was underrated. He's just terrific. I luff him :)

Millie, that line was a bit creepy! The look on his face when she said that was pretty skeevy.

Paul, never thought of it like that! Great description.

Caitlin, that whole creepiness totally added to it. If it wasn't there, the mood of the movie would've been completely different.

Keith said...

I'm a big Hitchcock fan. I love this film. You've got a really nice blog here. I'll definitely have to stop by more often.

Sarah said...

Thank you, Keith!