17 January 2009

Roll 'Em: To Kill a Mockingbird, 1962

I just finished the book in my English class and I think it's one of my new favorites. I've never read anything with so much thought and honestly, it's most likely because of my teacher, whose favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird. I quote her, "When I die, I hope they bury me with my copy on top of my heart." She's a little out there. I should probably also mention that she has a shirt with "I <3 Atticus" on it. But seriously, the character of Atticus Finch is one of the best literary characters ever. In class, we discussed things like his parenting style, which is how I can only hope to raise children. Another thing is that one needs courage in order to have integrity (ask me all about it, I wrote a 2 1/2 page paper on it within 42 minutes of class; I think I might have acquired carpel tunnel). Atticus has courage because he has a black maid, Calpurnia, taking care of his kids in 1930's racist Alabama. The integrity aspect of that is that he believes in her. Okay, enough about the book (even though I could talk about it all day long). The movie, while sometimes frustrating that they left out significant parts, was excellent. It definetely deserved the Oscar it got. The selections of cast are impeccable and I couldn't visualize anybody else playing Atticus rather than Gregory Peck, Scout rather than Mary Badham or Jem rather than Philip Alford. This was Robert Duvall's film debut. From reading the description of Boo Radley in the book, I still couldn't grasp a visual of him. But once he appeared on screen, I finally saw, right in front of me, how fragile and childlike this thirty something recluse man really was. Boo has spent the majority, if not all of his life sitting in his house doing who knows what, then comes out on a random night to save two innocent kids while doing the town a favor and killing it's resident drunk. In the movie, Boo says absolutely nothing, but the look on Scout's face when she realizes he is the man that saved her is so moving and powerful I couldn't help but get a little weepy. There is so much more I could say but I'll stop myself before I really go crazy. I'll just leave you with this, as I laughed until tears blurred my vision when I saw it. Caps are from screencapheaven.com Sidenote: I got photoshop for Christmas, so if you see the top banner for the blog change, like, A LOT, I probably got bored and decided to make a new one.

5 comments:

Millie said...

NICE!

"TKAM" is my lit teacher's fav book too, although we are not reading it this year (World lit is what we are doing...a book from almost every country...except USA)!

She doesn't have any cool shirt like that...;-)

But, she does like to start the day with a lit joke...she seriously searches for them on the internet!

-Millie

P.S. Although, I am home-schooled I do go to co-op once a week. That is where my lit teacher is from.

Steph said...

I read that book last year for my english class as well. LOVED it. I loved the film version as well. I thought Gregory Peck was perfectly casted and deserved that oscar 100%. & Me and my friend were cracking up @ that ham costume as well. :P

Sarah said...

Millie: Lit jokes are the best, aren't they? I love saying "it's so phony and all.." Catcher in the Rye references are kinda awesome.

Steph: I personally believe that the ham is the best part in the whole movie. And I now have a crush on Gregory Peck, even though he played and old guy..? I guess I just have that weird thing going on. haha

Millie said...

No, Sarah, lit jokes are not amazing...at least not the ones she does.... LOL!

Laura said...

LOL!! The HAM costume cracks me up every time . . .

This is one of my most favorite movies. What's to expect with Gregory Peck?!