02 July 2008

Spotlight: The Women, 1939

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photo credit to Steven Hill. So I lied about the plot summary thing. ;D SPOILER ALERT! Don't say I didn't warn you. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mary and the manicurist. Wealthy housewife Mary Haines (Norma Shearer) has a normal life until she discovers from a chatty manucurist that her husband is having an affair with a perfume salesgirl, Crystal Allen (Joan Crawford). Her gossipy friends tell her to get a divorce, and while she is at a dude ranch in Reno she meets other divorcees, including the Countess de Lave (Mary Boland) and Mary's loudmouthed friend Sylvia (Rosalind Russell) arrives at the ranch for her own divorce. Back in New York, Mary's ex-husband Stephen is married to Crystal, and is terribly unhappy. Crystal starts to cheat on Stephen with the countess' fifth husband Buck for a wealthy marriage (because she is planning on leaving Stephen), and Sylvia being Sylvia spills the beans to Mary, who tells the countess (who is the source of all of Buck's money) and therefore, Crystal returns to the sales counter. Whew. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Crawford, Shearer, and Russell in a publicity shot. I didn't notice that this movie had an all female cast until about halfway through. All of the women are constantly talking about men and their husbands, then I realized that I didn't know what they looked or sounded like and then...the lightbulb. A-ha! No men in this one, folks. I think my favorite scene was where Sylvia is at the spa doing her excercises but cannot stop talking, then Joan Fontaine comes in and they "relax on the mat." Scroll to 2:15 to see that scene,but the whole thing is hilarious. The Women - Witty Moments (1939) I also love 4:54; lmaooo. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Unfortunately, I couldn't find a picture of the fabulous fashion show sequence which I loooved, although it seemed a little weird, like it was out of place. Anybody want to clear this up? Image and video hosting by TinyPic I'm sorry this post is so short; I've been busy this week and will continue to be busy, but I didn't want to neglect you guys! Expect more posts this weekend. All photos from Google.

3 comments:

Biianca said...

thank you sooooooooooooo much for the header! I love it!!!
I will make a post and credit you
Is there anything else I can do for you in return?

yiqin; said...

Wow, all female cast!? Awesome, I have to check it out~!

Sam said...

cool! it looks great, i'll have to check it out too.